Run Advertisement Error

Topics: Need Help
Nov 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM

For some reason we are getting an error when using the "Run Advertisement" object.  The error we get back is:

Unable to get advertisement
Exception: ExceptionTarget site: CCMSoftwareDistribution.GetAdvert
Stack trace:   at smsclictr.automation.CCMSoftwareDistribution.GetAdvert(String ADV_AdvertisementId, String PKG_PackageId, String PRG_ProgramId, String SID)   at smsclictr.automation.CCMSoftwareDistribution.GetAdvert(String ADV_AdvertisementId, String PKG_PackageId, String PRG_ProgramId)   at OpalisAddOn.SoftwareDist.ReRunAdv.Execute(IOpalisRequest request, IOpalisResponse response)

The "Advertisement is Running" object seems to work, and the "Run Advertisement" object returns a different error if I use a fake TargetComputer name so I believe the connection is occurring correctly.  But no matter what settings I place in the object, it gives the above error.  Also, there is some confusion on how to use the object.  I presume the AdvertisementID and PackageID fields should be the actual ID numbers from SCCM, but I don't think there is a ProgramID number in SCCM, and putting the ProgramID title in doesn't work.  Also, can we just leave the PackageID and ProgramID blank?  I want to run the advertisement, including all the programs in it.  Placing the '*' symbol in the PackageID and ProgramID fields doesn't work either.

Thanks for any help!!

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Determined this was the error one receives if the client isn't in a collection for which the advertisement is assigned.  The client also needs it's machine policy refreshed before it'll realize it's in a collection.